US & Canada Toll Free: 888 209 4094 All other Countries: +44 (0)1228 598089

St Andrews Old Course Tee Times

Scotland, the home of golf attracts golfers from all over the world.  Old Course St Andrews is the golf course that all golfers wish to play during their lifetime. It is situated in the stunning medieval city, internationally known and accepted as the home of golf and one of Scotland’s finest coastal towns. To golf St Andrews is the ambition of every golfer who has ever picked up a golf club.

The town is home to the University of St Andrews, which was attended by HRH Prince William and his wife Kate. The University is an integral part of the burgh, and many students are players on the Old Course St Andrews. The students make up approximately one third of the town’s population and to play St Andrews for them is relatively inexpensive as the green fees cater to the needs of locals and students alike.

The British Open Championship is held at St Andrews every 5 years and the course and town are the home to the Royal and Ancient Golf Club which govern the laws of the game. The Old Course St Andrews is actually a municipal course which is owned by the town itself and the Links Trust governs the use and maintenance of the course.

To golf St Andrews players must have a current handicap certificate and be a member of a club. The handicap restrictions are 24 for men and 36 for ladies. The Old Course is one of seven courses which are owned by the town and operated by the St Andrews Links Trust

The Old Course St Andrews is the most frequent host for the British Open Championship which is the oldest of the four major golf championships. Visitors travel to St Andrews in great numbers as the courses there are ranked amongst the top courses in the world and the beaches are long and sandy. The film Chariots of Fire was filmed on the beach at St Andrews.

According to the earliest surviving document from 1552 regarding playing the Old Course, Archbishop Hamilton granted permission for players to golf St Andrews on the links adjacent to the “water of eden”. The course was purchased by the town council in 1894. St Andrews Old Course dates back to medieval times and the course was pivotal to the structure and development of the game and how it is played today.

Back to Top