Ireland – South West – Killarney ( Killeen) – 7121 yds – Par 72
While golf has been played in Killarney since 1891 (originally on a nine hole layout known as the Deer Park), the first 18 hole golf course at Killarney, which was designed by Sir Guy Campbell and Henry Longhurst, did not open for play until October 1939. Essentially this design comprises most of today’s Mahony’s Point course, while the Killeen Course, designed by Billy O’Sullivan and renowned Irish course architect Eddie Hackett, opened in 1971.
The merits of the original design at Killarney were quickly recognised by the Golfing Union of Ireland and in 1949, the Irish Amateur Championship was played here for the first time. The first of two of two professional events played over the original course was won by Eric Browne and is also remembered as the first tournament appearance outside of South Africa by Gary Player, who despite his failure to make the cut, rated the 8th hole (now the 13th on the Killeen Course) as “potentially one of the world’s greatest inland golf holes”. The course has played host to the Irish Open Championship.