Ireland – East – Baltray – 6783 yds – Par 73
County Louth, also known as Baltray, is a premier links course which has staged the Irish Open, most recently in 2009. Situated on the north bank of the River Boyne, it is bounded by the Boyne to the south and the ocean to the east. Designed in 1938 by Tom Simpson, Baltray has survived with only minor alterations and the natural seaside territory of towering sand hills and dense sand grasses present a strong links challenge in the ever present wind.
The greens, noted for their quality, are large and undulating and the subtleties and borrows are soon apparent. The quality of the par-3s is remarkable. Ranging between 153 and 169 yards the club selection will depend on the wind but each has a special character that remains in the memory.